Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Ping Pong - twice in two days.

with ten more entires to CLEAR, i guess i would have to start to accelerate a little and clear some of the easy and short ones first. This one will be about:

Table Tennis

well, my passion for this sport has been on since a long time ago. when i was young, still in primary school, my dad taught me this sport and i loved it a lot. when i got to secondary school, i even went for the school team trials, but of cos i didnt have the skill to get in, i was still very nooob then. haha.

luckily for me, my classmates were very interested in this sport as well and regularly after school i went to the table tennis room and played the game. it could be as frequent as an everyday thing. =) After a while, and a little guide from the more pro players, i managed to improve my game and my passion for it hiked as well.

i rmbr there were times when the guys in my class even played using the teacher's table or joined up a few desks after school. haha.

but after upper sec, there was little chance of playing ping pong alr, i changed to playing soccer as the guys in my class were more interested in it. only during a few pe lessons did i play table tennis again. Similarly, it was only during one period of time in JC when PE lessons were playing ping pong that i got involved in this sport again.

However, it is not difficult to re-ignite the passion for table tennis in many singaporeans. After all, it is the team of female paddlers that won the long-awaited silver medal in the beijing olympics 2008 and also it is table tennis that brings the most pride to our country in terms of sporting. When there is a table tennis match on tv, it is common to find our loyal supporters glued to the screen, supporting the team who is battling for our country out there. As such, table tennis is a rather popular sport (esp to watch) in S'pore. I would catch most of the matches broadcasted on tv.

As my brother is also very interested in table tennis, last year, near my ORD, we decided to try to book the tampines sports hall table tennis facilities. haha. it is qt hard to find table tennis tables open to public booking in singapore. and tampines is one place in the east that provides this facility. and after the first time, there were more to come. Since it is convenient to book and it also comes at an affordable price ($1.50 for a non-peak hour and $3.20 for a peak hour booking) i could introduce this to my friends.

After a few times, we got more and more interested in ping pong, esp during the period when chn 8 was showing PING PANG YUAN! ping ping pang pang.. LOL. We play almost every week nowadays. haha. i always thought singles were more fun, since in doubles the play lasts shorter and it is more difficult to play. however, we grew to realise that it is more fun to play doubles than singles, somehow. i guess it is more average and more exciting XD

Last weekend, i played table tennis on saturday morning with my brother. the last time we played, i lost out to him and this time round, i lost again. Very very narrowly. haha. on the 5th set i think i was leading my 4 points and in the end i threw away my lead and gifted him the victory with some unforced errors on my own. zz. most of the time i lost points with my mistakes. i guess i was pretty tired from all the smacking i've done throughout. LOL.

The pace at which we play were much faster than that when i play with the XCT ppl. cos the standard between me and my bro is very close and thus kind of more enjoyable, as i have to be on my toes, left and right all the time.

(Saturday afternoon, i was accompanying jh with kk to find jh's new bag (MATSUUUU!!!) and i guess i covered qt a lot of distance that day)

Sunday morning, i met ben yj wx for table tennis AGAIN haha and we had a good time. i managed to push and teach and motivate yj a little more cos i cant stand her sian diao face and lazy motions and reluctance to wake up. haha. luckily, my efforts were not wasted as she showed tremendous improvement to nearly match her "second best improved physics student award by mr chow in jc 2" HAHA. im glad and hope she can improve more and soon can defeat benjamin liao LOL. jkjk.

Anws, the point is that two consecutive days of table tennis had an impact on my ankles, as the sport requires lateral movement from left to right and to left again. i believe that i twisted my ankle along the way. not due to a sudden sprain but perhaps accumulated from table tennis and walking.

It was quite pain on saturday and i could not walk normally because resting my body weight on my sole is painful. i had to tip-toe a little to reduce the impact on my ankle. Luckily, the pain slowly subsided on monday and i can walk as per normal alr now!

i hope to continue my interest in this sport, table tennis. It is easy to play, dun require too much energy and free from the burning Sun too! haha. perhaps i can intro this game to more ppl and play in NUS. if not, i dun think there will be occasions where i get to play with friends not living in the east, due to the inconvenience.

Anyone interested? leave a msg =)

No comments:

Post a Comment